Preparing for Surgery
follow these instructions below
- A nurse will call you to review your medical history and pre-operative instructions approximately one-three days before your surgery date.
- To maintain efficiency in our surgery schedule, surgery times will often be adjusted, for that reason we normally call you on the day
prior to surgery to provide your arrival time and additional instructions.
- Expect a call from one of our surgery center representatives to discuss your financial responsibilities
Preparing for Surgery
- We will take great care of you and your family.
- DO NOT eat or drink anything after midnight the night before surgery or the morning of your surgery, unless specifically advised by
your surgeon & their pre-procedure protocol. This is needed to allow safe anesthesia to be administered. If you have questions,
please reach out to the surgery center or your surgeon’s office the day before your scheduled surgery.
- DO NOT wear any makeup, contact lenses, nail polish, perfume, lotions, jewelry.
- Know or bring a list of any and all medications, herbs, supplements that you routinely take and follow your doctor’s instructions about taking medications before surgery.
- Wear clothing that is loose fitting and easily changed.
- You will need a driver as you will not be able to operate a motor vehicle following surgery. You will need an adult driver that can safely
transport you home. Your driver must stay at the center during your time here.
- You will need a responsible adult with you for at least 24 hours following surgery
- You are advised to go directly home from the surgery center.
- Be sure to follow your surgeon’s orders about diet, rest, medications, and activity.
- A nurse will call you a day or two after your surgery to see how you are doing and to answer any questions that you may have.
Insurance and Billing
- Before your surgery date, you will be contacted with your estimated insurance coverage and amount of your co-pay, deductible,
and/or co-insurance. You should contact your insurance company directly if you have questions about specific benefits and coverage.
- Additional charges may be associated with your surgery, which are billed and payable separately from the Surgical Institute of Alabama charges:
- Anesthesia services
- Surgeon fee
- Lab fees